Saturday 13 October 2012

Hastings Half-Marathon Day-25th March, 2012

Before the finishing line

I remembered how I used to be a ‘loser’. I used to the best athlete among junior girls in our house, but the worst among my adversaries. My class mates would comment, ‘you are kind even on an athletic field!’  Nevertheless, I participated in a number of events with running being my weakness. And today quite astonishingly, I completed the Hastings half-marathon within two hours and few minutes. It is quite an achievement for me. There wasn't a single girl from the whole Pestalozzi to have participated in it for years. This time, there is at least one girl who wants to participate. She has been a good athlete in her school, unlike me. When I asked my senior boys about it, they all said I am mad. I got many discouraging comments from my mates, because I am short and plus I am vegetarian! Regardless all of all their comments, I took the courage with a positive attitude. I said to myself, ‘if I don’t participate, I might regret later. If I participate and succeed in completing within three hours, it’s a lifetime achievement. Even if I don’t succeed, I can say I at least tried.’ As expected, half-marathon wasn't easy, but I managed. I was able to go on running until I completed. As I reached the finishing line, I heard my name being called out loud. I proudly accepted the medal presented to me. I would never forget that moment.


2 comments: