Saturday 13 October 2012


Visit to Isle of Man (20th June - 23rd June)


Never did I ever think that the visit to Isle of Man would change me so much as a person. I used to think myself incapable of making a difference in people’s life, and hold myself lower than other people.
Katy Moore, a staff from Pestalozzi accompanied me to Isle of Man on a chilly Wednesday evening. We reached there at around 9:00 pm to be received by Paula. She had a warm smile. It was funny to be sleeping in someone’s bed. My thoughts started wondering, ‘These people must be lucky to be living in big grand house’. And then they went on, ‘Would I be able to manage well on the stage? Will they listen to my speech at all?’

I couldn't believe how well it went the next morning and how everything came so naturally. Then I was taken to a newsletter writer. She is a friendly woman. The interview was quite an intensive one. I basically told them everything about me: my village life in Tibet, the life-threatening obstacle that I had to cross when I was just eight years old, the lonely days in boarding school and the wonderful opportunity given by Pestalozzi. The Manx Radio interview was a pretty jiffy one, and same goes with the meeting of the governor of Isle of Man. I felt great.

I started gaining more confidence. I wasn't nervous on the second day. I visited two different primary schools. The kids had bewildered faces. Then I broke their thread of curiosity more or less. I introduced myself and they looked satisfied. When I told my age, I think their jaw dropped. Even more bewildered!

The third day was quite a hectic one and even exciting as well. The school that I visited is an IB school, and it was quite a big one. The staffs were friendly and they approached me to say how well I did on my short speech. The reception in the evening was one of the most important events for Friends of Pestalozzi to collect donation. It was a huge success. I got to know so many new people. My speech has drawn five more committee members and earned a donation that they never earned before.

I was again in someone’s bed thinking, ‘How lucky I am! There are people well off than me, but there are also millions who still couldn't receive an education. What more do I need!’
The next morning when I woke up, I knew I am not the same person that I used to be once. I felt more confident. More enriched. And more happy.

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you dear....keep this spirit and continue inspiring others!!!

    ReplyDelete